Tuesday, June 5, 2012

More Redwoods

I'll try to get as much in tonight as I can because I'm to taking somewhat unexpected trip to Portland and will be gone for two weeks. Yikes!
 These next few pictures are on a little walk we took the next morning. The tree above here we called the peter pan cave. Remember that movie how they lived in a dark hole like this? Maybe it was a redwood, just a thought. This tree obviously suffered damage from a forest fire at some time and also survived. Fascinating how strong these trees are that even a forest fire (and you can see how high it burned) didn't even kill these giants.
 "Just" another really big tree. You'll notice the terrain here has little brush. I assume it was because of the fire that came through here however many years ago. You can again see the fire evidence. The only plants that really grows here are ferns, lots of poison oak, and very large clovers and occasionally there will be a maple tree. Where as when we traveled north to the National redwood forest, there is all kinds of foliage and it's really tall. Here I really like how much more defined the trees are, probably because of the fire.
 Not a great picture, but fun anyhow.
 Ethan loves to climb. He searched high and low for something without poison oak on it that he could climb. and he found some roots.
 The Root system of the redwood, really isn't as big as you'd expect but still pretty impressive
 Just a really cool tree with extra thick bark and fire damage again. And you get to see my backside. Lucky you.
 The "Giant Tree" in the Avenue of the Giants. It is over 53 feed in circumference. WOW!! Its makes me look skinny.

This is the drive along the Avenue of the Giants. Really beautiful and astounding. (much prettier than what we saw in the National Redwoods which surprised me.) Doesn't this just make you want to come and visit me?

2 comments:

Karen said...

Loving all your pictures of your cute family! I miss the redwoods - so pretty and so HUGE!

Unknown said...

wow! I have always wanted to go to the redwoods - amazing! I love the pictures. What a great family vacation.